Anyone can submit planning applications for development, irrespective of the property owner, so long as the owner, or part-owner, leaseholder, agricultural tenant, or other parties financially involved with the property is informed of any proposed changes. In addition to this, all planning applications must be submitted with a certificate relating to or proving land ownership, or, that the legal owner of the property has been notified of the proposed changes.

Though applications may be made by an individual, it is advisable to appoint a planning consultant, or similar agent to assist with composition and submission, in order to ensure the process is as smooth and fast as possible.