When a local planning authority receives a planning application, the law requires it to give publicity to the application in various ways. This allows those who may be affected by it have the opportunity to make their views known. The publicity often includes:

  • publishing a notice in a local newspaper;
  • posting a public site notice; and
  • neighbour notification to occupiers and owners of adjoining properties.

Write down your planning concerns and supporting points and send them to the Local Planning Authority’s Planning Department. There is usually a Case Officer or Area Group allocated to deal with the application, but if you cannot discover the exact person, send the letter to the Planning Department. Always try to include the Planning Reference Number and location of the property/development. Some authorities now accept online submissions via the planning pages of the Authority’s website.

Concerns about the potential loss in value of your property because of possible nearby development are not something that the local planning authority can take into account in deciding the application.

View “How to respond to planning applications: an 8-step guide” by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) for more information.